Fitting the top linings seemed to go OK – I mostly used clothes pegs with rings of bicycle inner tube wrapped around them as clamps, but made a couple of matched cauls for the tightly curved areas around the upper bout and waist
When the dust settled, however, I could see a slight gap in a few places on the inside edge of one of the linings – it had all been tight when I dry fitted it. On the outside edge, the joints were all pretty tight. Poking about with a feeler gauge showed that the gaps weren’t actually all that deep:
The first lining I did was pretty much OK. I think that I over did the initial clamping of the second one and that this stopped it ‘finding its place’ as I clamped the full length. I then made the mistake of trying to ease it into position which resulted in it twisting away from the side slightly.
Lesson learned, I fitted the back linings with clothes pegs along the full length before clamping anything up, and let them go where they wanted.
Joint wise, I think they came out perfectly, inside and out.
Levelling the Linings
I levelled the top linings and put a slight bevel on them with a radiussed sanding stick – I used the 25′ radius for the lower bout and the 15′ radius (that I’d made for the back) to do the steeper curve at upper bout around the head block and fretboard extension. (I may need to refine these when I come to fit the top.)
The back was levelled with another 10 minutes on the radius dish.
It feels much more substantial now.